Monday, May 20, 2013

Organizing a novel using a wiki, redux

Several years ago, I wrote a blogpost for Writer Unboxed where I described using a personal wiki to organize my novel writing process.

I currently use a separate wiki for each novel I write and use it primarily as a story bible and repository of research information. Based on Jeremy Reston's TiddlyWiki, I've tweaked the basic version to something I call TiddlyWikiWrite (TWW).

What I like about using a wiki as opposed to using a notebook or just files on my computer is that the wiki is searchable. Think a cross between a relational database and index cards.

If you want to check it out in action, I've just updated the how-to manual and the version of TWW on my website is the most current. It's free to use/alter/tweak.

The TW team is working on a complete overhaul of the core code, but it's not out of beta yet. When it is released, I'll update and let folks know.

The how-to manual is embedded below:

1 comment:

  1. Just downloaded it. Will definitely look into using one - the Scrivener document system works, but seems to me that a wiki might be easier to search. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete