Saturday, April 13, 2013

Coincidences and On Getting to Hang with Chuck Wendig

Chuck Wendig & me, Stranahan House, Fort Lauderdale, FL

I follow Chuck Wendig's Terrible Minds blog and have read a bunch of his books, so when I saw that he was going to be doing a meet up in Fort Lauderdale Florida, I thought, how cool is that, but since I live in Boston, it's a bit of a far trip.

Then I looked at the date and realized I would be about a half hour away, since we came down to S Fl. for my father's birthday. This was definitely edging into the totally-doable-and-really-cool-coincidence territory.

So I braved the pouring rain (natch--I'm in Fl. It rains.) and made my way to the historic Stranahan house, where the meet up was scheduled, having zero idea what it was going to be like.

Turns out, about fifteen or so of us folks came out to hang with/hear read/talk to Chuck Wendig and had a delightful afternoon.

In the it's a small world department--he lives in the same part of the world as my sister in law. She used to run a restaurant there and turns out he remembered the place and had eaten there.

If you're not familiar with his writing, he runs a very popular writing blog where he dispenses tough love for writers and is the author of scads of dark, moody, atmospheric books of gritty urban magical realism. Really great stuff with a singular voice. 

Fun stuff!


2 comments:

  1. What a cool photo!! You're lucky to get to meet Chuck ... and he's lucky to get to meet you! Someday, I hope I get to meet you both in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd totally ALL have to dress like ninjas!

      Delete