Saturday, June 30, 2012

Some lovely words

Over the past 5 months since I put THE BETWEEN up for sale, I've received some really gracious and lovely reviews, both from readers and from reviewers.

There really is no greater gift a writer can receive than to know her words have moved someone.

I entered into the world of direct publishing with my eyes wide open. I knew that without an established publisher and its marketing behind me, without an easy way to have my books distributed to bricks and mortar bookstores, I would have a difficult time selling the work on a large scale. Rather, I published this novel because I felt it deserved to find its readership, even if that audience would be a small one.

I've blogged before about how I feel as if this undertaking has been a success.

Today I want to share with you some of the incredible things readers and reviewers have said about their experience of THE BETWEEN. To my readers and reviewers, my deepest thanks and appreciation.

"This book is a comfort read, even to an adult like me, and is going on my shelf next to my copy of A Wrinkle in Time. Lydia, like Meg before her, is a strong protagonist even when she doesn't realize it, and is a great role model for girls of all ages." --Val Ford, reader and author
"I’m one who loves magic and a great world. Sprinkle in some mystery and a great story and I’m in. This book gave me all of that. The world created here in Faerie was one of political intrigue, darkness, all things magical, and one that was so well thought out that you will believe you are there." --Terry Simpson, book blogger & author
"In The Between, Cohen blends a strong and fiery female heroine, complex family relationships and ethereal fantasy world into a delightful read for teens and adults alike".--Becket Moorby, book blogger
"L.J. Cohen's classic-based magic system suits the world-building and the characters, makes sense and doesn't smother the story with a lot of unnecessary spell gunk. I think L.J.'s skill with using the magic elements (as well as handling the Shakespearean world-building) comes from her poet side. I kept seeing that lyrical influence throughout the story, too; from the rhythms of the dialogue and the action to the descriptive passages." --Lynn Viehl, author

"Overall this was the best self-published novel I’ve read so far, and better than some traditionally published novels. It was well written, well paced, and the characters, their decisions and motivations felt very believable." --Erin Searles, reader and writer


"A page-turner of a story that includes Fae and a protagonist that discovers that her reality is not what it seems. A great YA novel without romance! I wish there were more strong/smart female protagonists like Lydia out there for my girls and boy to read about."--Ann Velosa, reader and writer


"I read the whole book in one sitting. I haven't had a book capture my attention like this in a long time. I thought about what made this book so interesting, and I came to the conclusion that it was excellent writing, a strong lead character-Lydia, and the hope that she could somehow fix the problems in Faerie and be able to go home." --Christine, reader


"Ignoring the popular advice to avoid portal fantasy plots, Lisa J Cohen has crafted a beautiful story of a young girl discovering that sometimes what we want to do and what we need to do are very different things. And that the choices we face may not be as obvious as they seem.

This is the first time I've read any of Cohen's work and I was impressed. The characters are well rounded and plausible; the good guys are complex and the bad guys have enough depth to warrant your attention." --Angelique Jurd (The Kindle Book Review)


 "I started reading expecting light romance, maybe, or bad guys and good guys, maybe. But as I kept reading, the story became more and more intense, deeper and more intricate, until I found myself completely involved and couldn't stop reading until the book finished. I emerged changed." --Susan M. Risdal, reader


"Lydia is forced to make hard choices with very little in the way of reliable information, and she succeeds because she believes in herself. She trusts her heart and her instincts, and they serve her well. Like another heroine who is close to my own heart -- Buffy Summers -- Lydia exists to change an outworn paradigm." --Tracy Rowan, amazon top 500 reviewer


"Cohen's THE BETWEEN is a delightful, fast, spine-tingling read. It draws on the emotions the way the Fae draws on its courtiers power." --Janet B Taylor, reader and author


"Cohen is a master at crafting honest and strong characters."-- Kathy LaMee for TracyRiva.com (Tracy Riva Books and Reviews)

"The story built steadily to a big finish, with Lydia being forced to make an irrevocable choice that would alter her life forever, as well as the lives of both the Fae and the Mortals. The Between was an enjoyable read, one of the more original and well written stories that I've read in a while. It's definitely worth checking out for fans of YA literature." --J. Chambers, Amazon top 100 reviewer


"Her writing is so sharp that she makes these fantastical places and occurrences feel as though you've been living them all along, no back story required. A smart choice for lovers of YA fantasy who are looking for something truly unique." --Sal Dellinger, reader


"Clive and Lydia are more friends and allies than romantic partners, which is an unusual and interesting treatment of a male/female relationship in young adult (YA) fiction. I enjoyed the psychological journey of these two main protagonists every bit as much as the action and adventure of the plot." --Kate McMurry, Amazon top 500 reviewer


No comments:

Post a Comment