Tuesday, June 12, 2012

. . . But I play one in the classroom

If baseball players can have home and away games, why not bloggers? :) Once a month, I have the opportunity to do an 'away' blogpost for the wonderful group blog "Black Ink, White Paper."  I hope you enjoy it.


We all wear a lot of hats in our lives. The newest hat I’ve squeezed on my head has writer written along the brim. While I’ve been writing novels for close to nine years now, it’s still a relatively new role for me, and it’s only been recently that I can comfortably answer ‘writer’ when someone asks me what I do for a living.

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to meet with a group of 6th grade students in our neighborhood middle school for a Q&A session about my young adult book, THE BETWEEN. Their English teacher had taught my now college-aged son and I’ve always held him in extremely high regard. Mr. D is an enthusiastic, creative, and wonderfully supportive teacher who helps his students discover their own love of literature and language. When he asked me if I would be willing to speak with his students, I jumped at the chance.

(Read more about my adventures as a visiting author in the classroom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment