Friday, December 23, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

In 20 days, THE BETWEEN will be published.  It will be for sale in all the usual places. It will be able to be read by people who don't know me, who don't know how hard I've worked for this day, or how many times this story has been revised, polished, and edited.

All they will know is *this* story.

It will have to survive on its own merits, its own literary version of its own two feet.

This both terrifies me and makes me giddy at the same time.  It's almost the feeling I get coming up to the top of a roller coaster.  See, I have this love/hate relationship with roller coasters.  I ride them wherever I can, but every single time, I question my own sanity as we crest the first rise before that first plunge.

I am questioning my own sanity right now.

What if no one reads this book?
What if all the reviewers hate it?
What if all the work wasn't worth it?
What if the stories in my head aren't as magical and compelling as I believed?

There is a fluttery feeling in the pit of my stomach that I suspect will only get stronger as I near January 13th.  There have been so many people supporting me and encouraging me on this writing journey--I don't want to disappoint them. 

I keep reminding myself that I've written the best book I know how to write, with the skills at my disposal.  There is nothing to be gained by holding it back, other than to reward my fear.

Now I must hand over the story to my readers. 

Take it.  It is yours now, to make of it what you wish.

2 comments:

  1. LJ, you'll be fine. If you're concerned about disappointing us, your friends and fans, well, it didnt work. If we were going to be disappointed it would have been when we first read the chapters.
    The only one who can disappoint us now is your publisher, or those readers who don't know a good thing when they see it.

    So there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you, sweetie! Taking big deep breaths here. xo

    ReplyDelete