Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Small and Unexpected Joys

Last year, one of my writer friends graciously volunteered to be the first reader for the first draft of "Future Tense."  Her critique was unbelievably helpful in the first pass revision.

This year, I subjected the revised manuscript to the folks in my local crit group, and their remarks were much fewer, and much more focused on just a few key areas.  I think this would never have happened if it wasn't for my first (brave!) reader.  (Thank you, Wen!)

Well, I was chatting with her, just a few minutes ago, and she told me that she still thinks about a particular scene in "Future Tense" that struck her, even in first draft, a year ago.

Isn't that what we writers want?  Crave?  Write for in the first place?

To know that I've connected with a single reader, who remembers and thinks about something I've created a year on.  Well, that's the most amazing gift I can ever receive.

I will return to the 2nd pass revision of this manuscript with a renewed eagerness.   A renewed commitment to get it right.  An added joyfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment