Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Just putting it out there. . .

While I don't buy the whole 'laws of attraction' deal (mainly because I can't wrap my head around blaming negative thoughts for someone's illness--too much blaming the victim for my taste), I do believe in affirming what you want.  Letting others know can be really helpful.  For one thing, making a public affirmation can help clarify what it is you really want.  For another, it may lead to networking and connections that help you reach that goal.  For a third, it may inspire someone else to make a personal committment.

So here it is.  I want to make a full living from my writing.  All aspects of writing.  From my fiction, to running poetry workshops, to editing.  That's what it means to me to be a working writer.

Inspired by the panel on freelancing I attended at Readercon last weekend, I'm going to work on a writing resume and have it on my website for folks to find.  I'm going to network with other writers as well as medical/scientific folk and see what kind of editing gigs are out there.  And I'm going to figure out how to bring my poetry workshops to school age children.

What would you like to just put out there in the universe?  Hey, no guarantee you'll get it, but if you don't ask, the answer is already no.

No comments:

Post a Comment