Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kitchen Follies, Prayers for Kyrgyzstan

When life gets stressful, I retreat to the kitchen and cook. It's one of those rare tasks that has a beginning, a middle, and an end, is not ambiguous, does not rely on other people, and rewards me with something wonderful when I am finished.

Today I finished canning 3 pints of strawberry preserves, made from strawberries I picked yesterday morning at a local farm, and using this recipe.

It seems to be similar to the wonderful fruit preserves we ate last summer all throughout Kyrgyzstan.

For the most part, Kyrgyzstan is why I have retreated to the kitchen. I feel so overwhelmed and so heartsick about the violence there, so I am putting up spring's bounty. My hope and prayer is that day to day life stabilizes in Osh, where our friends are, and that they can return to the normal tasks like making strawberry preserves to spread on borsok.

Please consider making a donation to the Red Cross Kyrgyzstan initiative. Details here: Kyrgyz Uzbek Peace Initiative. One of the founders is someone I know. Her parents put us up and took care of us when we were in Osh a year ago.

2 comments:

  1. huggs my dear.

    On a better, well, more optimistic note, I've found out that the museum where I work will be hosting some stuff for the Dodge poetry slam on October 8,9th.

    Not 100% sure the dates are right, but it's that weekend, Saturday & Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the hugs, sue.

    I am so looking forward to Dodge and hanging out with you.

    ReplyDelete