Monday, March 08, 2010

True Confessions of an Indifferent Movie Watcher

I just don't get the hype about the Oscars.  But that's probably because I'm not a big movie fan.  The only movie I saw in the theatre last year was "Star Trek", and mostly because I wanted to take my boys to see what had been an icon of childhood TV for me.  We bought "Up" and watched it at home and I loved it.  But other than that, I don't think I was even tempted to see a single movie nominated for the Academy Awards.

I know--that makes me some kind of weird curmudgeon.  I don't even watch all that much TV.  Major exception:  Red Sox baseball games and Dr. Who.  How's that for a combination.  LOL.

I would rather spend the evening curled up on the sofa with a book to read, or a notebook and pen, perhaps with some music playing than have the television blaring at me. 

Perhaps it is because I'm not primarily a visual processor/visual learner.  Unlike my husband and youngest son, I don't primarily render the world through my eyes.  Rather, I take in other sensory impressions, experiencing the word both kinesthetically and with a poetic (metaphorical) mind set. Movies and television often overwhelm my ability to process the fast visual stream of images.  With reading, I set the pace and get to decide what to dwell on, and how to experience the story.

So, true confession--I did not watch a single minute of the Oscars last night.  The only reason I know who won anything is because of listening to NPR this morning.  Does that make me seriously out of step with most of the US?  Probably.  I also didn't watch the superbowl.  Not even the commercials.

Hey, I still love the feel of a book in my hands.  How odd and out of touch is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment