Sunday, December 13, 2009

You must read this. . . redux

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is an intelligent, well written, and chilling story of a young girl who is forced to fight in a barbaric elimination game for the entertainment of a post apocalyptic and controlling central government.  Meant for a YA audience, this strong novel does not shy away from difficult truths:  that the powerless are so easily and so often victimized by the powerful. Yet, throughout, there is hope in the voice and character of Katness, the main protagonist and viewpoint character of the novel.  She is stubborn, resilient, and while she is a fighter, she is still oddly innocent.

I found myself emotionally invested in this book and in Katness' story while appreciating the skill of Collins' prose, world building, and pacing.

My 16 year old son lent me this novel and I would highly recommend it for both teens and adults.  It is the first in a series and I look forward to reading the next one.

1 comment:

  1. The sequel is just as fine, I thought. Collins isn't afraid of the tough questions.

    ReplyDelete