Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"Planet Earth turns slowly"

I love this song by Owl City.  I don't quite know why, but from the first time my teenage son had me listen, I was hooked.  This morning, it came on the radio and he and I were singing it together.  I had one of those 'priceless' moments:  How often do you get to enter your 16 year old's world?

While there is no doubt in our household who the parents are, and we often exercise the power of 'no', my husband and I also work hard to stay connected with our kids. 

One of the ways we connect is through music.  We've introduced both kids to music 'the old dudes' listened to in college (REM, The Who, Peter Gabriel, The Talking Heads, etc), and in turn both boys introduce us to music they love.

Some of it, I enjoy, some I don't, but I love the fact that we all enjoy the exchange.


I'd like to make myself believe
That planet earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
Because my dreams are bursting at the seams

--From Owl City's "Firefly"


Go listen to the song--it's catchy--you might even find yourself humming it at unexpected times. Even if you're an old fogey like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment