Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Making an Investment. . .

No, I'm not referring to the stock market. I'm talking about making an investment in myself, writing, and the future.

Starting next month, I am taking a 10-week workshop called "The Ultimate SF Workshop" I've been wanting to find something to push my writing to the next level and while I work with an online critique group and a face-to-face writing group, I was looking for something more structured and more rigorous.


I had wanted to apply to Viable Paradise, but it conflicts with an out-of-town family function. Then I found a link to the 'Ultimate' workshop. It is likely not the only investment I will make in my writing, but it is a good jumping off point. If I want to be serious about a career as a writer, then in addition to the discipline of writing, is the discipline of learning. I've already gone the academic route once in my life and don't see myself earning an MFA, so I will treat reputable workshops as my own customized course of study for writing genre fiction.


I'm a little nervous about the upcoming workshop. While I am a disciplined writer and am good at making the time to write every day, I haven't had writing 'homework' ever before. I think I need my kids to keep an eye on me. Maybe we can help one another stay on top of our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment