Tuesday, September 02, 2008

August Poetry Postcard Fest, final (Aug 28-31)

I really enjoyed participating in this project. During the rest of the year, my mailbox fills up with junk mail, magazines I don't really want or have time to read, and bills. This August, I couldn't wait to get the mail, to see what treasure I would receive from a far flung poet.

Both the writing and the receiving of these little poems made the end of summer something to celebrate.



August 28, 2008

A Gardener's Koan

The final lap
around summer's track.
Will the tomatoes ripen
before first frost?



August 29, 2008

Marigolds laze in the sun,
gossip with neighborhood bees.
Winds churn somewhere else
granting us a temporary peace.



August 30, 2008

The Watering Hole

Bees take their turn, sipping nectar.
On the pickets, a line of gossiping
sparrows. Monarchs dart in and out
of blossoms. Blooms dry, drop
to the ground. I swallow,
dust heavy on my tongue.


August 31, 2008

The lightest brush of wings
against paper. Words
have no weight on the page,
only in the ear that hears.
My voice is the rustle
of breeze through reeds.
Will you not listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment