Thursday, May 01, 2008

"Heal Thyself" at 98K!

It's been a while since I gave an update on this story. The book is at the place where the main characters are in a moment of great peril. They each fear for the other and all hell is about to break loose.

Ain't writing grand?

I know where the writing is going, all the loose ends will come together into a smooth story strand. This is a story that was in some ways the most difficult one I've tackled. Certainly, it's the story that was written more 'by the seat of my pants' than through structured outline.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a spontaneous person. I live and die by my palm (an old Zire 71, if you're interested.) I'm a list maker and a planner. I've always envied people who are spontaneous, though they seem like some alien form of life to me. So when it comes to writing, I am most comfortable with a map of the territory. But I've also discovered that if I approach a novel from a highly structured position without any room for spontaneity, I will destroy the story.

"Heal Thyself" was my attempt to push out of my comfort zone and into a story that didn't have a firm structure. While I struggled in the writing, with several weeks to months-long gaps in my pace, in some ways, this is my most successful story. The characters, even in first draft, feel more fully realized and their path through the plot more authentic.

I started this story one year ago. Living with Lilliane and Zev for the past year has been a phenomenal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment