Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Good News/Bad News: "Heal Thyself" at 66K

First the good news: I think I have the ending figured out for this story. It seems to wrap up the major conflicts of the novel in a way organic to the plot. The characters aren't kicking up a fuss, so they must agree with me too. :) I also think I can wrap it up in another 20-30K no problem. At my typical chapter length, that's about 7-9 chapters.

Now the bad news: The story will require a sequel. There is no way I can do justice to the political and social intrigue raised in this book and bring it to full resolution in those 20-30K. It's a big, sweeping story that spans two radically different cultures. The current WIP takes place primarily in one of the two countries. The sequel (how I cringe when I write that word) will take place in the other country.

I know all the wise counsel. An unpublished writer shouldn't tackle a book that cannot be completed in one volume. It's just not marketable. I know. Really. All of the other three novels are stand alones. And I tried. Honest, I tried to shoehorn this into one book. And every time I try to outline the plot in that way, I hit a brick wall and the writing grinds to a painful halt.

Sigh.

And the truth is, I want a break from the intensity of this world and its conflicts. I plan to finish "Heal Thyself," broad brush outline its companion volume, then write something else for a little while.

How's things with you all out there in writer-land?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a great problem to have. That means you have enough material for a second book. You'll probably find a publisher who is interested in sequels, which in the end is a great match for you.

    As for me, I'm trying to get in the swing of things. Trying to put my head down and work, and not make excuses for not writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news that you've found an ending ... it's another question about the sequel, but you should be able to tell once you close things off ... or don't. Good luck with that final stretch! :-)

    ReplyDelete