Saturday, July 21, 2007

The End of an Era: Harry Potter

So, we have it. Harry Potter 7. We just got home from a HP party at our local indie bookstore . We all got dressed up. I even went out and bought blue nailpolish and sparkely makeup. (Disclaimer--I hardly ever wear makeup and I can't remember the last time I painted my nails.) Went up into the attic and dug out our Halloween stash of cloaks and wizard hats. Hubby and I really enjoyed the excuse to be silly.

The book is sitting on the bookshelf in my sons' room. They, of course, wanted to stay up all night reading. That was an automatic no from the parental units.

They've agreed to a one hour on, one hour off schedule. I'm going to wait. I know if I start to read, then each page will take me closer to the end of an era. I want to slow down the end of this story, just like I want to slow down my childrens' headlong rush from childhood. I am in no hurry. I know Harry and company will be waiting for me when I crack open the cover. I know that there will be a time when the boys will go their own ways, prefer to go to book events, movies, parties without us.

Tonight, being together and celebrating our love of all things fantasy, books, and heroes was the true magic.

Happy reading, all.

1 comment:

  1. I've got my copy sitting my lap here. I know exactly what you mean about the end of an era.

    ReplyDelete