Friday, April 20, 2007

Finding the heart of a new story

It's been several months since I've written any fiction.

Wow--that just reminded me of the scene in "Finding Nemo" when the sharks are in their '12 step' program about not eating fish. "Fish are friends, not food."

I think I needed to recharge and regroup after writing almost continuously for 3 years. it didn't feel at all like writer's block, more like a creative hiatus. I was able to return to some focused poetry writing, something I miss when I'm in the throes of novel-fever. (Can't write both at the same time for some reason.)

I was talking about several of my story ideas with a writing friend and she asked me which one kept me up at night or which one had characters that interrupted my work day. At the time, none of them had that power.

Yesterday, I started to feel that familiar tingle in my fingers and started to review some notes I'd collected for a new fantasy novel. Working title: "Heal Thyself"

It's a story about a gifted healer and the injured prisoner of war she treats, inadvertently creating a bond between them. They come from radically different cultures and find their lives are now tied to one another. I keep hearing this voice over in the back of my mind when I think about this story:

Sometimes you can only see the truth of your own beliefs through the eyes of another.


So 2K into the story and lots of notes organized in a personal wiki. Trust me--far more organized than index cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment